Manager, Advancement New York, New York
Title: Manager, Advancement
Job Type: Permanent
Primary Location: New York City, New York (Hybrid)
Vignetic is looking for a Manager, Advancement that is interested in a challenging role that will help them develop their career as a fundraiser and as a rising leader in the social justice space. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who has a builder’s mindset, and enthusiasm for rolling up their sleeves to create key fundraising infrastructure and develop core strategies for a start-up organization. The ideal candidate will have a strong knack for people and relationships, a demonstrated commitment to social justice, low ego, an entrepreneurial spirit, and strive to meet the highest standards in nonprofit operations and fundraising. This position reports to the Principal, Advancement & Partnerships.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Institutional Funders and Grant Writing:
- Regularly identify and cultivate new institutional funder opportunities; research prospects, strategize and generate connections and introductions; develop funder meeting agendas; manage cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Develop donor briefs and other strategy documents to support prioritization of prospects and actively manage cultivation process
- Serve as lead proposal writer and grant reporting manager; draft proposals and reports and drive them to submission, managing up the Executive Director and Principal; prepare supporting documentation, support the drafting of budgets, coordinate input from team members, and edit and integrate content into coherent, compelling proposal narratives.
- Work collaboratively across company to drive successful proposals and pitches that meet our programmatic needs; work collaboratively to include appropriate team members in presentations, convenings, and other funder engagement activities
- Manage existing funder relationships and renewal processes; coordinate ongoing relationship management and regular meetings with program and communications teams to review progress towards key deliverables, milestones, and reporting requirements
- Facilitate grant onboarding sessions, ensuring financial details are integrated into organizational budget, and all relevant team members are briefed on grant schedule, deliverables, reporting obligations, etc.
- Collaborate with other staff to prepare for donor meetings, including developing meeting briefings and presentations, ensuring leadership involved in pitch are fully prepared
- Support the development of individual giving program, including: improving and expanding our donation page, assessing and executing giving campaigns, and identifying pathways to reach our corporate partners’ networks of HNWIs
- Identify and track HNWIs in our ecosystem for potential conversations with Chairman and Executive Director; Leverage database to manage individual prospect research, prioritize the identification and cultivation of prospects, develop giving profiles and strategies for engagement, and project manage timelines for cultivation of individual donors by Executive Director and Chairman
- Conduct research and analysis on individual donors’ giving capacity and document in database
- Generate strategies for tap Donor Advised Fund (DAF) giving opportunities and DAF networks
- Stay abreast of and incorporate leading practices for nonprofit individual giving programs
- Serve as lead administrator for successful, accurate, and up-to-date data management in Salesforce, QGiv, Double the Donate, files in SharePoint, and all public online profiles, including on Candid and our corporate matching gift portals
- Oversee fundraising data management system in Salesforce, including by tracking opportunities and prospects, proposal development process and submission, tracking pledge and payment status, and all elements of reporting obligations (narrative, financial, other).
- Own responsibility for company gift administration for all donors (individual and institutional), ensuring that donations are processed in a timely manner, that the organization’s supporters receive prompt and accurate gift recognition and acknowledgment letters, and that the data is tracked seamlessly in our database
- Track data for key program metrics as requested and track information for special fundraising projects as they arise (events, campaigns, etc)
- Control the creation of accurate donor communications lists and work with Marketing team to ensure successful delivery of content
- Recommend, implement, and manage improvements to existing systems and processes to improve compliance, efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency and eliminate redundancies.
Donor Collateral, Events, Acknowledgments:
- Generate shareable collateral targeting institutional funders that speaks to the organization’s growing impact; Assist in creation of materials tailored specifically to HWNI network events and HWNIs
- Ensure the timely creation and distribution of public fundraising/stewardship materials; this includes supporting the creation of our Annual Report and other annual and mid-year impact reports.
- Generate and execute thank you opportunities (i.e., events, touchpoints, notecards, dealtoys, swag) to regularly acknowledge donors across all funder types.
- Help produce cultivation and stewardship events (virtual and in-person) for prospects and donors at the mid- and major-levels.
- Support the ongoing conceptualization and eventual implementation of in-person launch event (our first major fundraiser)
- Ensure senior staff are supported in their donor relations work, including providing presentation materials and draft communications
Strategy & Planning:
- Represent the Development team in external settings (conferences and gatherings) and partner with other teams across the organization to help advance a culture of philanthropy
- Partner with the Executive Director and Principal and to develop, implement, execute and evaluate long-term goals and strategies; establish supportive and cooperative working relationships with Directors to share best practices, new ideas, and collaborate on donor cultivation when needed
- Build a culture of Salesforce utilization to track and evaluate the team’s key metrics, and use meaningful data to continually improve practices and inform decisions
- BA required
- Passion for social justice; interest in becoming a subject matter expert in employee ownership
- 3-5 years’ experience in a nonprofit fundraising setting
- 3-5 years’ experience with sophisticated database management, preferably within Salesforce and/or other donor databases
- 3-5 years’ experience of project management at a mission-driven organization
Skills & Qualities
- An outstanding writer who enjoys connecting with people and can persuasively and succinctly make the case for a nonprofit’s mission in writing and in conversation
- Superior organizational skills; an ability to maintain constant attention to detail (the cornerstone of this role); strong instinct to proactively document everything
- Exceptional project management skills that enable the execution of complex, multi-stakeholder projects over short-, medium- and long-term timelines
- Capable of adjusting quickly to shifting priorities; interested in being a proactive, positive member of an evolving team
- Empathetic and compassionate, with a wide bandwidth for people; someone who understands that positive relations and attitudes are essential components of successful fundraising
- Highly responsive, accountable, and collaborative
- Interested in joining a fast-paced organization on the cutting edge of doing good